Raan Utsav – The Tent City of India
I visited Raan Utsav during my Road trip to Gujrat from Delhi. It started off from my visit to Pushkar and the next destination on the cards was the Raan Utsav.
About Raan Utsav
Raan Utsav is a cultural festival that is celebrated in the state of Gujarat. This is basically a Tent City which is located in the Kutch Gujrat. The area is also known as Raan of Kutch or White Dessert of India. What makes it even special and spectacular is that the tents at the Raan Utsav are erected fresh every year. The area is submerged under the Arabian sea most of the times in the year thus giving Kutch the perfect white colour of Salt in the winter. This area is thus also referred to as the White dessert
- When Does The Rann Utsav Start?
- Raan Utsav VLOG
- The Venue
- Things To Do At The Rann Utsav
- How To Reach
- Tips For Visiting The Rann Of Kutch
- Cheapest Way To Attend The Rann Utsav This Year
- Raan of Kutch – White dessert VLOG
When Does The Rann Utsav Start?
Raan Utsav generally takes place from the month of November each year and goes on till the month of Early February the next year. The Winter season forms the best climate to visit Kutch . Apart from the above month the area is under the Arabian Sea. The sea falls back manny km during winter. The barren area is left covered with sea salt thus giving it a feel of White Dessert. In this area tents are erected and this famous festival is celebrated.
Raan Utsav Vlog
Raan Utsav – Vision
The main vision behind the celebration of Raan Utsav is that the people from the country and the world can come down and experience the White Dessert. This dessert is formed naturally as explained earlier. Apart from this the festival also showcases the traditions of Kutch and the local handicrafts and other fancy and valuable materials designed by the wonderful people of the area.
The Venue – Raan Utsav
Dhordho Village in Kutch forms the centre of all Activities. It is a place where the Tent City is set up. The tent city consists of more that 400 luxurious AC tents . The complete tour of the city is present in my VLOG
Things To Do At The Rann Utsav
Following is the list of activities that you can do at the Tent City
- Camel Cart Ride
- Shopping Activity Area – Bandhini Sarees, Handcraft Items & many more traditional items.
- Kids Zone Area
- Food Court
- Gaming Zone
- Spa Centre on chargeable basis
- Yoga & Meditation Centre
- Adventurous Activity on Chargeable basis – Parasailing, Dirt Biking,
- Cultural Dance Performance
- Live Music Concerts
- Special Cultural Dance Shows – Garba, Dandiya Raas
- Conference hall for Business purpose
- Rides on a chargeable basis
- Sightseeing Visit – Kaladungar / Black Hill, White Rann / Dessert, Hodka Village
How to Reach Raan Utsav
Nearest Airport – Bhuj – Bhuj Airport is the Nearest Airport and is about 80 km from Dhordho. If you are coming by flight then you need to take a cab to reach Dhordho. The ride from Bhuj to Dhordho is so wonderful and you will also pass the Tropic of Cancer . The whole landscape is surrounded by oil trees and is so mesmerising.
TIP – The temperature falls drastically in night. I would advice you to take your warm clothes with you in any time of the year. It is also advisable to book you accommodation in the tent city at-least 45 days in advance. Full Moon day is the best day to visit Raan of Kutch to experience the perfect beauty of the Nature
Tips For Visiting The Rann Of Kutch
- During off season you can go directly to Dhordho without booking. Its high chances that you will be able to do a room upgrade at a lower price
- Try to visit Raan of Kutch in the Full Moon Night to experience the best beauty. Full moon night is the best time to visit
- Take warm clothes with you as the temperature falls drastically right after sunsets within minutes. Raan of Kutch is a desert and it’s climate typically behaves as one.
- Only Vegetarian meal is served inside the tent city and no non veg menu is on the table.
- Raan Utsav is a No Smoking and No alcohol zone. Take your stocks with you and go out of the campus to enjoy 😂 .
Cheapest Way To Attend The Rann Utsav This Year
In this paragraph i will give you some tips to attend Raan Utsav at Raan of Kutch in a cheaper way
- Try to travel in Off Season . November or February
- Try to reach Bhuj by Train and take a bus to Dhordho
- Try to book at the reception counter for a room upgrade
- Reach before Raan of Kutch by 12 pm and leave next day by 11 to have a complete experience